Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 13:15:18 -0500
From: "Denny O'Breham" <obreham@...il.com>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Authentication process

«see [1] and [2] for existing implementations»

As for [1], here's an example.  I went there and it gave me «wcicxWqjQ4Px»
as a writable password.  As a user, I could be comfortable with remembering
that ... as long it is the only one I need to remember.  If I need to
remember 20 passwords like that, forget it.  If I need to change them every
6 months, that's even worst.  If I have the same one for all my websites
and one stores it in an insecure way (How will I know?), then I need a new
one and need to change it on every websites; What a pain.

AS for [2], it builds a password based on specific rules.  You are
basically giving the rules directly to the attackers such that they can
build their dictionaries.  I wouldn't trust these passwords to be secure,
as soon as these tools become popular.

« this is where I compare it to a password manager»

Reading your comments, I kind of see my login process as «forcing» a
password manager to the users.  No need to wait for them to be educated
about password safe practices or learn a new type of program.  It is
related to my website only as opposed to some 3rd party managing all of the
user's credentials; So no standard needed.  So even if my website is
compromised, only my user's «unknown» passwords are compromised. The damage
is a simple reset by each of my user, while keeping their usual password.
With a 3rd party password manager, if the program is compromised (or maybe
a policy modification changes my «free» account to one with fees, so I need
a new password manager), I need to do the painful process of resetting all
of my credentials around the web.  Plus, if someone learns the master
password, that can be catastrophic for the user with a password manager.
With my login process, assuming he has the same password for every website
and it is compromised, you still need the code to access any of the website.

Content of type "text/html" skipped