Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 22:25:32 +0300
From: ArkanoiD <ark@...ex.net>
To: "e@...tmx.net" <passwords@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: GMOs And Passwords

 Sure there is "quality". We have a generator function and an oracle
function, and we have a relation between two which is quite complicated.

Humans are remarkably bad as generator functions (it is easy to build a
good oracle for them). IIRC there were experiments when people are told to
simulate coin flipping game and make up a result — it is quite predictable
and nowhere close to random. So most of the time it is useful to deploy an
external source of entropy and generate passwords that are just as random
as they seem.

And here is some funny consequence: if a human is allowed to choose one of
several randomly generated passwords he likes most, we must assume that
there is an oracle function that could predict that choice with amazing
precision. And it's measurable in terms of entropy degradation, so entropy
is not that useless at all ;-)

Also, in real world scenarios we are forced to make estimations and ad hoc
measurements to evaluate the quality of the oracle function, otherwise we
should imply that every oracle is perfect and quality of any human
generated password is exactly ZERO, since it has next to nothing of
«entropy».

Content of type "text/html" skipped