Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 09:10:19 -0800
From: Royce Williams <royce@...hsolvency.com>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Password-Manager Friendly (PMF) semantic markup

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@...dmark.org> wrote:
> On 2016-05-10, at 11:17 AM, Jim Fenton <fenton@...epopcorn.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/10/16 7:12 AM, Royce Williams wrote:
>>>
>>> We might include not just password complexity rules, but other
>>> qualities of authentication, including:
>>>
>>> - Password aging policy
>>> - Supported 2FA/MFA methods
>>> - Supported types of federation (log in with Google, Facebook, etc.)
>>> - Hashing method and parameters (salt, rounds, etc.) -- a signal of
>>> (in)competence ;)
>>> - SAML awareness? (not sure what's possible/useful here)
>>>
>> Ugh, let's not give them a place to express a password aging policy when
>> the only sensible answer is "no aging". I'd rather that we didn't
>> encourage password complexity (composition) rules either.
>
> If a site or service has such rules, then it would be good for password
> managers to know about them.

Indeed.

>> Hashing method and parameters: How is this information actionable by
>> password managers?
>
> I agree. While we should encourage sites to document such things, this
> isn’t the place for it.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that passwords as data entry are a
subset of authentication parameters, and creating a specification that
covers more of the spectrum can open up benefits that we cannot
foresee.  The underlying password hashing method might influence what
passwords are chosen/generated. (I'm not going to use "correct horse
battery staple" if the underlying storage method is descrypt, for
example).

And I'm not suggesting that hashing method would be required.  I'm
suggesting that we define it, but make it optional.

Royce