Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 15:53:19 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Minor problem with kernel 431stab123.1 VZ container networking

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 06:10:01PM -1000, cpb wrote:
> Hi, I am seeing a problem with the most recent Owl kernel from inside
> the OpenVZ containers, which are also running Owl. Specifically:
>
> These two things do not work inside i686 containers when the host is
> running kernel-2.6.18-431.el5.028stab123.1.owl1.x86_64:
>
> 1. "ifconfig" inside the containers does not work:
>
>     root@...tainer:/ # ifconfig
>     SIOCGIFCONF: Bad address
>
> 2. Apache 2.2.34 (and 2.2.21) do not start, error_log shows:
>
>     [Sat Jun 16 14:40:39 2018] [emerg] (14)Bad address: Couldn't set permissions on cross-process lock; check User and Group directives

(and more)

We think we have fixed the bug that caused these issues, in the kernel
currently in Owl-current: 2.6.18-431.el5.028stab123.1.owl2.  It's not
yet in 3.1-stable, but should be installable on 3.1 (and even on 3.0,
but not older) as-is.  Please give it a try and let us know.

2018/06/28	Package: kernel
Fixed a regression introduced with the previous update (to -431) where
some 32-bit syscalls would fail with EFAULT on a 64-bit kernel because
of improper alignment of the newly introduced KAISER/KPTI trampoline
stack.  This fix is due to investigation and patch by Pavel Kankovsky
and bug report by Chris Bopp.

The bug appears to have come from RHEL5 ELS, but at this time we're
unsure whether it also manifests itself on those systems or not as we
don't have any of those and no one replied to my Twitter query for
testing on one of those.  I guess they're rare.  Since there's no
container support on RHEL5 proper, I guess it's also not that common to
run 32-bit binaries on it when having the 64-bit version installed.

> P.S. May I suggest adding libpopt-devel-static in installorder.conf

This is also done (also only in Owl-current for now).

Alexander