Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 19:58:37 +0300
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl 3.1-stable

On 2015-01-10 19:21:38 +0300, Solar Designer wrote:

 >> The Owl 3.1-stable branch forked off Owl-current in mid-2014
 >> is finally available on our FTP mirrors
 > FWIW, this got posted as a news story at OpenNet, in Russian:
 > http://www.opennet.ru/opennews/art.shtml?num=41394
 > In the comments to it, we got the expected criticism and a
 > little bit of encouragement.

Almost all criticism is justified: kernel 2.6.18 instead of 2.6.32,
ancient glibc (and many other packages that we can't update without
updating it first), old SSH... also, some packages are likely to be
dropped, and some other should be added.

 > Those of you who read Russian might want to check out the
 > comments.

Been there, seen the comments. Some are really hmm... unpleasant,
but even those are true: we have really much to do in -current,
once we've released a 3.1-stable and now aren't required to look
back.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin <gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>
GPG: 8832FE9FA791F7968AC96E4E909DAC45EF3B1FA8 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net