Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 08:10:04 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gcc-related bug?

On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 06:31:33AM +0400, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 02:56:17PM +0400, croco@...nwall.com wrote:
> > Actually speaking, I believe there should be something related to the
> > version or a particular build of gcc which is in Owl, but I've got no
>
> Try to turn stack-protector off (remove -fstack-protector from your
> CFLAGS).  IIUC, our gcc can't use this feature yet.

-fstack-protector and -fstack-protector-all worked on Owl for me in
simple tests:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-dev/2011/11/07/1

but I'm not surprised that some packages might not build with these
options yet, since we happen to be using gcc's rather than glibc's
library support code for that, whereas other distros obviously have
newer glibc.  We should update glibc first, and then proceed to enable
-fstack-protector:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-dev/2012/02/12/2

Alexander