Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:00:33 +0400
Subject: Re: Owl on HP ML350 G3

On 14-Jan-2014 23:44:21 -0200, J. Cesar Bertelli wrote:

 > I had some troubles trying Owl 3.0-stable on my 'new' HP Compaq
 > Proliant ML350 G3. The relevant hardware is:
 > raid controller : smartarray 641
 > ethernet NIC : BCM5702

That seems to be overseen by our kernel maintainers for a long time
(since the Owl had to fit on a single CD and kernel had to fit in a
2.88Mb El Torito image). Despite of a golden rule "keep storage and
communication modules compiled in", some of these critical modules
are still kept outside.

For servers which I administer (at least 30, or 1/3 of their total
amount, are HP Proliants) I use my own build of the kernel:
(size: 88025248, sha512:

Here's already compiled packages:
(size: 8681527, sha512:
(size: 3694907, sha512:

Fake package for OpenVZ containers:
(size: 1728, sha512:

And even an installation USB flash image (quite old, but should do
the job of primary installation; requires at least 2Gb flash):
(size: 606120676, sha512:

 > Owl actually boots, but it doesn't recognize the eth card, and
 > the installation stops in a blue fashioned screen when I attempt
 > to go to the first relevant step: partitioning the discs. Notice:
 > no messages - just the blue. (Seems that it stops when calling
 > the partition software.  Well, I don't know.)

The CCISS differs from the usual disk controllers, so you may like to
partition, format and mount the will-be-root filesystem manually. That
means, before running `settle` you should run `fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d0`,
`mke2fs -j /dev/cciss/c0d0p1` and `mount /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 /owl` (and
other filesystems as well, most likely "/owl/var" and "/owl/home").

 > I never had any experience with RAID. I've read?? that the problem
 > could be related to some missing kernel modules - for the raid
 > (cciss) and the NIC (tg3 or bcm5700).

Most likely it really is.

Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin <gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>
GPG: 8832FE9FA791F7968AC96E4E909DAC45EF3B1FA8 @ hkp://