Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 17:11:19 +0400
From: croco@...nwall.com
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: MySQL w/cmake: anyone tried packaging for Owl?

Colleagues,

I tried to update packages that form "Croco's Owl Lamp", and I noticed
several bad things.  First, my old MySQL SRPM doesn't build under the
recent 3.0-current, complaining that some test (diffing a generated file to
some ethalon) fails.  As that version of MySQL is actually very old,
(5.1.x), I decided to try newer version -- and learned that it is now built
with cmake.  Well, I really hate cmake (and now I've got one more reason
to), but it looks like we can't do anything here: the famous fork of MySQL
named MariaDB is also cmake-built and, furthermore, it even needs sudo with
password checking disabled (!) for 'fully-automated build' (this is a
citation from their site), which is inappropriate and makes me feel I
shouldn't waste my time with MariaDB and its developers, at all.

So, I tried and even succeeded with rpm'ing cmake for Owl (the version is
2.8.11.2).  However, this didn't help.  After I created a mysql.spec file
for cmake-driven build, it worked up to the point of '%install', where
rpmbuild fails trying to copy a file into its final system location instead
of local directory for packing.  The Makefile which cmake generates, seems
to ignore the 'DESTDIR=...' argument completely, and here is where I gave
up after a ten or so hopeless attempts to fix something.  Well, I could
agree to pack cmake, but I feel absolutely unprepared to waste my time
_learning_ it as to be able to patch MySQL's build configuration files.
This is way too much.

As MySQL is installed on servers very often, I wonder whether anyone has
better experience with this piece of sh^W software.

(tendencies in contemporary IT smell like a catastrophe, heh)

The version of MySQL was 5.5.33, may be other versions pack easier?  Or may
be I miss something?

Thanks!

--
Croco