Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 16:29:25 +0200 (CEST)
From: Bernhard Fischer <fischerb@...cher-ing.de>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: software raid with device busy status

Hi Misha,

you can't stop /dev/md0 if it's your root filesystem. It's like cutting
the branch you are sitting on.

If you remove a device from a raid set, you may also clear the
superblock for reusage.

mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/hda1

or do it the hard way

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1

Check the other devices for proper bootloader installation. Otherwise
your machine will refuse booting afterwards. You have to install the
bootloader on every single device in the RAID set, to get it booting in
the case of a disaster.

-bernhard