Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:55:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl kickstart

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:44:46AM -0500, David Parrish wrote:
> What are the major differences between Owl 2 and Owl 3?

Kernel version, threads sub-library in glibc, lots of minor changes.

> How can I tell if my VM is using Owl 2 or 3?

Recent revisions of Owl 3 have a file called /etc/owl-release (with some
info inside).  If there's no such file, it's an older version.

> If Webenabled, is using Owl 3,

I've addressed this in other replies, and explained just what WE is using.

> then that is what I should have been working on all along.

Whether you pick Owl 2 or Owl 3, you would still be quite far from what
WE is using, since there's no web hosting software in Owl itself - it's
just the base system.  WebEnabled has much extra software on top of Owl.

> Anyway, here is my work so far on the veewee template in case anyone
> is interested.  https://github.com/dmp1ce/veewee-owl2  I'll probably
> give Owl3 a shot next.

Curious.  If/when you update this for Owl 3, I suggest that you use
"settle -d" (dumb terminal mode).

Alexander