Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 23:26:52 -1000
From: cpb@....log2.net
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Upgrading to current gives dependency problem after kernel upgrade and boot

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:03:42AM +0000, Zenny wrote:
> On 4/3/12, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > You never mentioned where you got those RPMs.  Did you build them
> > yourself or did you download them?  Did you previously install
> > locally-built (by you) Owl RPMs on this system?
>
> I got it from: http://mirrors.kernel.org/openwall/Owl/current/ using
> the standard upgrade without any customization right now. I just
> thought of upgrading first and then make customization.

You can't generally upgrade from one branch of Owl to another in-place with
installworld. You still have not said what you are upgrading *from*, which
makes a huge diffference. If it's Owl-stable, everything makes sense and
you have chosen a painful path. If it's some earlier Owl-current, then in-place
installworld *should* work, but it's not too surprising if it doesn't (see
Solar's suggestion about looking in the owl-dev mailing list around the time
of major changes.)

I have not tried to go from the -current ISOs up to Owl-current lately. The
ISOs are pretty old, by which I just mean a lot has happened on the -current
branch since then--and I think a lot more is about to happen! Look out for
glibc.next!

Chris Bopp
Honolulu, Hawaii