Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:03:42 +0000
From: Zenny <garbytrash@...il.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Upgrading to current gives dependency problem after
 kernel upgrade and boot

On 4/3/12, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:41:01PM +0000, Zenny wrote:
>> # rpm -Uvh ~build/RPMS/*.rpm
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>> 	perl(Crypt::PasswdMD5) is needed by syslinux-perl-4.04-owl2
>> 	perl(Digest::SHA1) is needed by syslinux-perl-4.04-owl2
>
> You never mentioned where you got those RPMs.  Did you build them
> yourself or did you download them?  Did you previously install
> locally-built (by you) Owl RPMs on this system?

I got it from: http://mirrors.kernel.org/openwall/Owl/current/ using
the standard upgrade without any customization right now. I just
thought of upgrading first and then make customization.

>> It seems like a dependency hell. :-( Could not figure out how can I
>> upgrade smoothly?
>
> If you simply used "make installworld" using our pre-built RPMs, the
> upgrade should have been smooth.

As I stated earlier, the make installworld is done with Owl pre-built
RPMs, yet I was getting the problems as I reported.

> If you build your own RPMs and try to cross a major change in this way
> (such as our update of OpenSSL or GCC), then, yes, you may get into
> dependency hell that you'd need to resolve on your own.  Ways to resolve
> it _might_ be found in owl-dev list postings from the right time period;
> they generally involve multiple install/build/install steps.  If you're
> not into developing Owl, then I suggest that you only upgrade using our
> pre-built RPMs.
>
>> On 4/3/12, cpb@....log2.net <cpb@....log2.net> wrote:
>> > You didn't include complete details of your starting point or the source
>> > of
>> > your RPMs in ~build/RPMS,

I just followed http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/upgrade without any
modifications so far.