Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:21:17 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl 3-stable OpenVZ config issue

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 08:37:29PM +0400, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> I've recently installed Owl 3-stable and found that it's kind of
> unconfigured in re: to OpenVZ:

Ouch.  I think this broke with the move of OpenVZ kernel stuff to
modules.  The modules are only loaded when the "vz" service starts, and
only if you already have at least one OpenVZ container.  So when you
create the very first container on a system, the modules are not yet
loaded.  I am not sure how and whether to correct this best.

Maybe provide an extra invocation mode for service "vz", which "vzctl
create" would use?  Sounds hackish to me.

Maybe have the modules loaded in all cases, even if the system is not
going to host any OpenVZ containers?  Sounds untidy to me.

> root@...ver:/vz/template/cache # vzctl create 101 --ostemplate owl-3_0-stable-20111026-x86_64 --ipadd '123.123.123.123 192.168.123.123' --hostname test-ve
> Creating container private area (owl-3_0-stable-20111026-x86_64)
> vzquota : (error) Quota getstat syscall for id 101: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[...]
> Kernel lacks simfs support. Please compile it in, or load simfs module.: No such device
> Container private area was created

Despite of these errors, what would happen if you simply start the "vz"
service at this point?  I guess everything would work just fine.

> modprobe simfs adds the missing simfs filesystem, modprobe vzdquota adds
> missing quota support to the running kernel, but I'm kind of expected this to
> work automatically (I think the openvz service should have taken care of

Sure, but please see above re: the exception (no containers configured
on service startup).

Thank you for reporting this!

Alexander