Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:17:35 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Failed to build packages from pkgsrc

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:59:12AM +0200, Henri Salo wrote:
> I sure do understand why somebody uses a system like pkgsrc, but I have no idea why someone would still use cvs.

Historical reasons only, I guess.  When there's existing infrastructure
around cvs, then moving to git becomes some extra effort, which would
take resources away from other tasks.  We have the same problem for Owl -
we could move from cvs to git now, but that would not actually benefit
our users right away, whereas some other changes would - so the latter
take priority.

> Also source based package "control" is kind of hard to maintain when you have lots of servers to handle.

That's true.  We use RPMs and OpenVZ templates.

> Could we add support for .deb-packages?

Since we're closer to Red Hat'ish distros than to Debian/Ubuntu in terms
of compatibility, we normally use RPMs on Owl.  I suppose you could
install dpkg on Owl, but it would not use Owl's own RPM database for
dependency checking.

> I have been following these guides since I usually don't install any packages to my Owl-systems:
>
> http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/packages
> http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/pkgsrc
>
> Few open questions:
>
> 1) Why on earth does Owl still lists "Fedora Core 3 and 4"?

Because these are among other distros the packages from which may be
installed on Owl 3.0.  Since these have been EOL'ed long ago, maybe we
should in fact not mention them anymore...

> 2) Where to report problems from pkgsrc?

To us or to pkgsrc maintainers.  You did the right thing by posting in
here first, thanks!

> I was building wget to get environment for my girlfriend working (yes not a joke).

What's the intended use for this environment?  Connecting to it remotely
to run irssi in screen?  (Just a guess based on what you wrote below.)

> I received this error message while building wget:
[...]
> openssl.o: In function `ssl_check_certificate':
> openssl.c:(.text+0xc78): undefined reference to `a2i_IPADDRESS'

Apparently, recent wget requires OpenSSL 0.9.8+ when you're building
with OpenSSL support (which pkgsrc probably does).  Owl 3.0 only has a
variation of 0.9.7m (with some patches).  Owl-current has 1.0.0d (with
other patches).  Apparently, you're building on Owl 3.0, but for fresh
third-party stuff you have to build on Owl-current.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-wget/2010-01/msg00012.html

Alternatively, you could install an older version of wget from CentOS 4
(yes, 4) or from Owl 2.0 contribs.  Yes, that's not good.  Well, with
CentOS 4 updates you at least should get a security-patched older wget.

BTW, we normally just use lftpget (which is part of Owl) instead of wget.
lftp has a mirror command, which replaces some functionality of wget's
--mirror.  And it does http and https too.  We will likely package wget
into Owl, though.  We tried to avoid duplicate functionality in Owl, but
I have to admit that we might need to deviate from that.

> I also received errors while installing other packages. I basicly have the default configuration-files. Where the error could be? If pkgsrc shouldn't be used please tell me, which solution I should choose. For example another error with python27:
>
> """
> Writing /lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/Python-2.7.2-py2.7.egg-info
> => Automatic manual page handling
> pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkgsrc/lang/python27/work/.destdir//bin/2to3-2.7'
> pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkgsrc/lang/python27/work/.destdir//bin/pydoc2.7'
> pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkgsrc/lang/python27/work/.destdir//bin/smtpd2.7.py'
> """

I don't know what the issue is here.

Perhaps try on Owl-current?  BTW, you can have an Owl-current container
on top of Owl 3.0 host (and vice versa) with no issues.

Thank you for your feedback!

Alexander