Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 19:11:41 +0000 (UTC)
From: alexis <alexis.khoury@...il.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: power outage

 <gremlin <at> gremlin.ru> writes:

> On 17-Jul-2011 19:05:23 +0000, alexis wrote:
>
>  > Seems that owl automatically recovers after a power outage.
>
> It simply performs automatic check of all filesystems. If there
> are no serious errors, it continues to boot up.
>
> For making it able to boot up even if some filesystem errors
> were found, you may wish to change your init scripts to run
> e2fsck with -y and without -a or -p options in order to fix
> those errors automatically.
>
>  > Shall I check something with owl or with openvz after power
>  > loss?
>
> If it's production server - just bring it up ASAP: even if some
> data appears to be lost, you have a backup (don't you?). For
> experimental or other non-critical servers you may wish to run
> `e2fsck -vy ${device}` for all your filesystems, check for stale
> PID or lock files, etc.

Thanks for your reply,

In fact I am running owl as a home server servicing web pages
(http://akconcept.sytes.net) and other remote programs such as rsync for file
backup. The power outage was unexpected. I ran into runlevel 1, unmounted my
disc partition and ran the command e2fsck -vy /dev/mypartiotion the result was
"clean file system". An openvz container was mounted when the power outage
occurred, is it ok or shall I do something else?

Thanks in advance.