Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 00:07:36 +0400
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Intel 82801 SATA RAID

On 18-May-2011 23:02:58 +0400, а х wrote:

 > I have onboard RAID controller "RAID bus controller: Intel
 > Corporation 82801 SATA RAID Controller (rev 02) ".
 > LSPCI said that.

That's so-called "fake RAID": the actual mirroring is performed
by a driver which uses CPU.

The main difference between fake and real RAID controllers is
very simple: if it supports RAID level 5 - that's real RAID,
otherwise it most likely is a fake one.

 > And two hard drives. I have created RAID 1 with internal software.
 > After booting with "Owl 3.0-stable 2011/03/12 for 32-bit x86"
 > from CD my RAID did not recognized as raid. I mean, that fdisk
 > show me sda and sdb disks.

That's normal.

 > Can you help me, please?

Hopefully we can...

 > May be, I need some module? Or only mdraid is possible for me?

Yes, and that's much better than using some hardware-dependent
code: if you have some trouble with the HDD controller, you don't
need to find a similar model from the same vendor - instead, you
can simply connect your drives to any other controller and get
the array running.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
<gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>