Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:59:38 +0300
From: croco@...nwall.com
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new to openwall! some migration question

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 10:05:18AM +0300, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:

> I never heard of proxmox before, but a quick search reveals that it's a
> Linux distro which is focused on providing mail services.  Although,
> it's possible to build very complex systems on top of Owl, I thought it
> worth to be mentioned that Owl doesn't include the LAMP stack by default
> (e.g. there is no MySQL, Apache, or PHP packages in the default package
> repository).  However, since we are mostly binary compatible with RHEL
> 4, CentOS 4, and FC 3 - you can install most of the needed packages from
> there, yet you will get the benefit of the secure practises we use in
> Owl.

May be I'm a moron but I've never seen any binary packages from other distros
running under Owl.  Each time I was trying smth. like this I had problems
which are, perhaps, easy to solve, but compiling all the stuff from sources
was always easier.

However, there are unofficial package repositores for Owl around, e.g.
mine: http://openwall.info/wiki/people/croco/crocos_lamp  (as I didn't yet
update it for Owl 3.0, you might want to take the SRPMs and build them).
Should you decide to try this out, please be sure to share your experience.
Thanks!

--
Croco