Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:31:48 +0000
From: Simon Baker <simonb@...zo.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new to openwall! some migration question

On 18/12/2010 07:05, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> Leonardo,
>
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 08:18:48PM -0300, Leonardo Lazzaro wrote:
>> Anyone migrate from proxmox to openwall?
> I never heard of proxmox before, but a quick search reveals that it's a
> Linux distro which is focused on providing mail services.  Although,
> it's possible to build very complex systems on top of Owl, I thought it
> worth to be mentioned that Owl doesn't include the LAMP stack by default
> (e.g. there is no MySQL, Apache, or PHP packages in the default package
> repository).  However, since we are mostly binary compatible with RHEL
> 4, CentOS 4, and FC 3 - you can install most of the needed packages from
> there, yet you will get the benefit of the secure practises we use in
> Owl.
Actually the other magic bit in there was about OpenVZ.

I migrated the entirety of my mail servers and web servers to a single
host running Owl some time back (which was also actually a linux KVM
host!), and found the entire experience to be far easier than expected.

In essence, I installed Owl, and then installed other linux distro's to
provide services I needed, for example it's extremely trivial (as in 5
minutes work) to deploy an Ubuntu or Debian host, apt-get update and
apt-get install postfix, follow a guide on the t'interwebs for
configuring mail under debian or ubuntu, and restart the VZ guest to get
it all up and running.

I wrote some bits about how to get mail up and running under Owl, under
a debian guest, with a single IP address assigned to the host here
https://kaizo.org/simonb/openvz+ipv6.php and here
https://kaizo.org/simonb/postfix.html - just ignore the IPv6 stuff :-)

Please feel free to ask more detailed questions to the list, I'm certain
someone will help!

Regards,

Simon.