Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:22:06 -0000
From: "Simon Baker" <simonb@...zo.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: LVM Clarification

Howdy All,

We don't support LVM out of the box, though for me it's something I'm
finding more and more useful for containerization, as it allows me to
finely allocate another physical limit to an OpenVZ guest. However, it's
reasonably easy for me to just simply build the utilities myself, but
there's an issue with the startup script rc.sysinit as I see it:

# Activate LVM volumegroups.
if [ -e /proc/lvm -a -x /sbin/vgchange -a -d /etc/lvm ]; then
        echo "Setting up logical volume management"
        /sbin/vgscan > /dev/null && /sbin/vgchange -a y
fi

The /proc/lvm file isn't there on my system / kernel build (I only added
in dev mapper support to my kernel .config, which seems to suffice). Does
anyone know which kernel options are supposed to create this?  Is it a
hangover from the olden days ?  Do I need it to make things work properly?
 Obviously as it stands I'm removing the [ -e /proc/lvm ] conditional to
make things work, but if this could/should be fixed upstream that would be
better :-)

If I've missed something fundamental, please let me know.

Regards,

Simon.

--
https://kaizo.org/simonb/