Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:36:41 -0000
From: "Simon Baker" <simonb@...zo.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: simonb@...zo.org
Subject: Re: IPv6 Support in Owl

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:04:39 -0000, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
wrote:

> As you're probably aware, Owl does not yet support IPv6 out of the box -
> IPv6 support is disabled in our default kernel.  However, we build many
> userland packages with their IPv6 support included.  So I am guessing
> that you're using a custom-built kernel with the Owl userland.  It will
> help if you post more info on your setup - kernel version, Owl userland
> version and whether you're using our pre-built packages or you rebuilt
> them on your own.  In the latter case, also what kernel headers you had
> in place when you rebuilt the userland.  "Officially", we only support
> rebuilds of the userland with kernel headers matching our default kernel
> -
> e.g., those found on our ISOs (the installer offers to copy them over to
> the newly installed system, and they're also usable on the live CD
> system).

For completeness, and to aid others who may be curious about IPv6, my
setup is thus:

I performed an upgrade via the latest ISO image release on 23/11/2009.
Installed userland and kernel from that, and rebooted.  Untarred the
supplied kernel and applied the patches which are part of the distribution
to end up with kernel version: 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5.028stab064.8-owl0.2

I had to change and tweak some settings to apply more closely to my
hardware, and changed several networking settings, adding in IPV6 as well.

With regard to kernel headers used for building userland, they are the
defaults taken from the install CD - I am not linking glibc or anything
else to my current linux tree kernel.

As to other changes, I have made a few to the *.spec files, though mainly
defining BUILD_IPV6 to be true.  Although IPv6 isn't officially supported,
it has been working well for me so far :-)

Regards,

Simon.

--
The meek shall inherit the earth; the rest of us, the Universe.