Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:04:39 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: IPv6 Support in Owl

Simon,

Thank you for the problem report.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 03:13:45PM -0000, Simon Baker wrote:
> Since I've upgraded one of my machines (running IPv6 natively) I've hit a
> strange issue, whereby I can no long ping6 or tracepath6 to hosts:

As you're probably aware, Owl does not yet support IPv6 out of the box -
IPv6 support is disabled in our default kernel.  However, we build many
userland packages with their IPv6 support included.  So I am guessing
that you're using a custom-built kernel with the Owl userland.  It will
help if you post more info on your setup - kernel version, Owl userland
version and whether you're using our pre-built packages or you rebuilt
them on your own.  In the latter case, also what kernel headers you had
in place when you rebuilt the userland.  "Officially", we only support
rebuilds of the userland with kernel headers matching our default kernel -
e.g., those found on our ISOs (the installer offers to copy them over to
the newly installed system, and they're also usable on the live CD system).

> I believe this may be related to an issue which has been seen on a debian
> mailing list:

Yes, it looks like you found a good description of the cause of "your"
problem.  What we may do is either apply the patch from that Debian
"bug" entry (hoplimit-old-kernels.diff) or update our package to
s20071127 right away (with some patches on top of that version).  The
latter is probably a better thing to do unless that version has issues
with our currently-official kernel headers.  We will likely pull most
patches from:

http://sisyphus.ru/en/srpm/Sisyphus/iputils

Once we have a newer package, we will need you to test it - will you be
available?

Thanks again,

Alexander