Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 17:59:44 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CentOS packages

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 06:54:02PM +0400, croco@...nwall.com wrote:
> I now know how to solve the particular case of the puzzle (that is, when
> there's a dependency on a file and I don't know from which package does it
> come); however, I still see no much use of, e.g., rpm -qR (or rpm -qRp)
> even with the help of the database, as rpm only shows a long-long list of
> files, libs or whatever, most of them are already in the system, some of
> them can be acquired from other packages but their names aren't shown.  May
> be there's another useful option of RPM which I simply don't see?

Besides the "Suggested resolutions" I mentioned in my previous posting,
you might be missing the fact that if you identify/guess full pathnames
for the libraries, then you can obtain the package names with "-qf".

For example:

rpm --dbpath /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/CentOS -qR httpd

prints a long list of CentOS httpd's dependencies, including:

libgssapi_krb5.so.2

If you guess that this library likely installs under /usr/lib, like most
of them do, you can query:

rpm --dbpath /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/CentOS -qf /usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so.2

which prints:

krb5-libs-1.3.4-62.el4

All of the above works with just rpmdb-CentOS installed on Owl, with no
other CentOS packages downloaded/installed yet.

The "Suggested resolutions" on attempted install are even easier to use.

Alexander