Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:54:02 +0400
From: croco@...nwall.com
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CentOS packages

Solar, all,

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 04:19:43AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:

> To find out where /etc/mime.types comes from on CentOS, download their
> rpmdb-CentOS package (such as rpmdb-CentOS-4.8-0.20090804.i386.rpm),
> install it, then issue:
>
> bash-3.1# rpm --dbpath /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/CentOS -qf /etc/mime.types
> mailcap-2.1.17-1
>
> I just did the above on a chroot'ed test install of Owl-current, and it
> worked just fine as you can see.  Yes, you have to know about their
> rpmdb package, but other package names you can infer using that one.
> Feel free to add info on the rpmdb package to our wiki page if you feel
> that it is of sufficient relevance.

I've just updated the wiki page adding the tip with a couple of examples.
However, I'm not that familiar with rpm, so may be I'm doing something
wrong, but I see no way to simply ask rpm about what packages should be
downloaded and installed if I simply want a particular package to install.
I now know how to solve the particular case of the puzzle (that is, when
there's a dependency on a file and I don't know from which package does it
come); however, I still see no much use of, e.g., rpm -qR (or rpm -qRp)
even with the help of the database, as rpm only shows a long-long list of
files, libs or whatever, most of them are already in the system, some of
them can be acquired from other packages but their names aren't shown.  May
be there's another useful option of RPM which I simply don't see?

Thanks,
--
Croco