Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:17:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenVZ vs. 802.1q VLAN

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 07:40:02PM +0400, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
> TWIMC: it appears that OpenVZ patch breaks 802.1q VLAN support at
> least for 2.6.24 kernel. Checked on both i386 and x86-64 platforms
> connected to my old good Cisco Catalyst 2950 - while vanilla 2.6.24
> kernel works just fine, rebuilding it with OpenVZ patch causes it
> to discard network packets like if they were destined to unknown
> VLAN number.

You could want to report this to OpenVZ folks, perhaps via their forums.

> I was unable to check this on stable OpenVZ version, as kernel
> 2.6.18 does not support my hardware,

Please note that even if vanilla 2.6.18 does not support your hardware,
chances are that one from OpenVZ's "rhel5" branch will, as it includes
back-ports of newer drivers from RHEL 5.

http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel5-2.6.18/stable/

> but problem should persist there as well.

Perhaps.

Alexander