Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:01:28 +0200
From: Krzysztof Śniadoch <krzysiek@...urenet.pl>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Plesk 8.1.1 + Owl :)

Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 10:59:32AM +0200, Krzysztof ?niadoch wrote:
> > Currently I'm using cpanel
>
> Was cPanel easy to install on Owl?  Did you run into any issues (and
> solve them)?

Hmm... It's not like that. Currently, we're using CentOS as based
distribution, that's because of the support.
But having quite a lot of security problems, I'm seriously thinking about
switching to OWL with Plesk/cPanel. I got to recalculate many things so thi
won't be an easy decision :/ Thanks to the notes of Galaxy now I can see how
the things needs to be done to get Plesk working - that's really important.

> > Setting up Plesk on OWL is awesome solution, especially when it comes to
> > security ...
>
> Actually, I wouldn't call Plesk (or cPanel for that matter) installed on
> any OS reasonably secure for my own use.  Sure, you do get some
> advantages of Owl that other Linux distributions don't offer (e.g., tcb
> and stronger password hashes), but other than that Plesk (or cPanel)
> pretty much kills the security of any underlying Linux distribution.

The kernel security by OWL patch is also the improvement that I'm counting on.
Especially, when we had a critical security issues thanks to the 2.6.x
kernels :/
You're absolutely right writting about killing security by Plesk/cPanel :/

> Actually, posting to owl-users is quite close to placing text marked
> "experimental" on the web since there are web-based archives of this
> list.  A web URL for such posting could then be linked to.  And its
> status as just a mailing list posting would indicate that the text is
> experimental.  The message should appear here:

Hmm... I've an idea :) Solar, what do you thing about creating something
like 'how to' link at the http://openwall.com/Owl ?
Owl-users could post here, the ready step by step solutions, the rest of list
could make/annonce/apply :) "patches" to the text, and after that, the
solution could finally go at the web :-)

The people who're visiting Openwall's website could see that the distribution
has ready to use solutions so they don't need to gooooogle to get things
done :) That's really helpful, especially for new users :-)

--
Krzysztof Śniadoch <krzysiek at securenet.pl>
http://www.securenet.pl - Information Technology