Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 06:15:35 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: installing from CDROM on the third (!) IDE channel

Croco,

My apologies for the late response.

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 01:07:21PM +0300, crocodil@...co.net wrote:
> I've got a very uncommon machine here at Tashkent which has 2
> SATA ports and one port which seems to be generic IDE. In BIOS
> setup, that one is referred as Third IDE. Unfortunately enough,
> CDROM drive is attached to that drive.
>
> How should I start the Owl CD? It requires to select the
> installing CD drive from {pri_m, pri_sl, sec_m, sec_sl, scsi}.
> I've tried something like root=/dev/hde, but got no success.

You need to watch kernel boot messages to see how the drive is
identified, if at all.  It might be /dev/hda, /dev/hde (then specifying
"root=/dev/hde" would be correct), or it might not be identified by our
CD kernel at all.  In the latter case, you'd need to build another
kernel with the appropriate driver for the IDE controller, then create a
new floppy image with that kernel (using the /boot/floppy-update.sh
script), then generate a new ISO image and use that.  Alternatively, you
can actually use a floppy - you'd need the owl-cdrom package files from
Owl 2.0 for that since Owl-current has been updated to use 2.88 MB
"floppies".

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15