Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:29:25 +0300
From: "(GalaxyMaster)" <galaxy@....openwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SATA controller

Vlad,

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 10:10:39AM +0500, vlad wrote:

> I plan to put Openwall as a platform for several servers,
> Whether there is what that the list configurations of the equipment,
> To avoid similar difficulties?

You can lookup whether the hardware is supported in the "out-of-box"
kernel that is included on Owl CD by looking at /boot/.config.
Moreover, we aren't providing the kernel package (in the meaning of
other distributions) since Owl is designed for experienced systems
administrators who can rebuild their kernels as necessary.  That's said,
Owl supports the same list of hardware as the kernel you've chosen to
use (and which patches you've applied to it).

In general, Owl runs fine on a broad range of server hardware.  For
example, I had installed Owl on Dells, IBMs, HPs without any problems
(all these particular servers use Adaptec SCSI controllers).  But again,
there are should be no difficulties with any hardware supported by
vanilla kernels, just a module compilation is required in case if it
isn't included into the kernel on CD.

Perhaps, we might reconsider the way we are packaging our kernel on CD
and we might start including precompiled modules eventually.

--
(GM)