Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:29:22 +0100
From: Andreas Ericsson <ae@....se>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Installing kernel sources or C headers

Bob Sleys wrote:
> According to the installation instructions page the current build
> install does not install the kernel sources or C headers needed to build
> software from the source code.
>
> I have a clean install of Owl from the current build.  IE at the point
> of the end of settle.  Being very new to Linux etc I'm at a bit of a
> lose on how to install the kernel sources and C headers so I can then
> proceed with building the other things I need.

# su - sources
$ lftp ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/kernel/v2.4
lftp ftp.funet.fi:/pub/Linux/kernel/v2.4> get linux-2.4.32.tar.bz2
lftp ftp.funet.fi:/pub/Linux/kernel/v2.4> quit
$ umask 022
$ tar xjf linux-2.4.32.tar.bz2
$ exit

> I'm trying to get the box setup w/ apache, php, perl and mysql.  I got
> the source build of apache installed but php won't install due to
> missing xml2-config.

Apache, php and mysql are available as Owl addons (i.e. not audited but
packaged and kept somewhat up-to-date and compatible with Owl-current,
or whatever version OP5 happens to be shipping). Perl is shipped as a
part of the core Owl distribution.

http://oss.op5.se/owl/rpms

You'll need mysql, apache, apache-php, apache-ssl (if you intend to use
ssl), php, php-mysql and a couple of other things as well, such as mm
and friends. I think you should be able to find everything you need
there though. If not, gimme a holler and I'll see what I can do.

> Thanks for any help with this.

You're welcome.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson@....se