Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:40:46 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Settle

Randy,

"settle" is currently only available in Owl-current, not in the older
1.1 release.  The installation instructions that you see on the website
start with this remark:

"The instructions below apply to Owl-current snapshots dated 2005/08/08
and newer (until revised).  For older versions of Owl (such as the 1.1
release), please refer to Owl/doc/INSTALL as included in the "native"
tree for your version (that's /usr/src/world/native/Owl/doc/INSTALL on
the CDs)."

So you would need to refer to /usr/src/world/native/Owl/doc/INSTALL on
the CD, but unfortunately the installation procedure of Owl 1.1 assumes
prior experience with Linux.

So my advice is that you do one or both of the following:

1. Download the latest Owl-current ISO instead.  It's located under
current/iso/ on the mirrors listed at:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/DOWNLOAD.shtml

For the current version, the filename is Owl-current-20051208-i386.iso.gz

Then you would be able to use "settle".

2. Let us install the system and any application software for you
remotely.  You would only need to configure an IP address and a
temporary root password for the CD-booted system.  (Yes, this is a paid
service.  We can also provide ongoing remote systems and security
administration services.)

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar