Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:14:56 +0100 (CET)
From: Bernhard Fischer <bernhard@...chli.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: ntpd terminates right after starting

Someone mailed problems with openntp last Dez. Now i am in the same
situation. Right after starting the daemon the forked child terminates
and that's it. Strace does not show me any usefull hints (socketpair()
is suspected for me to fail in this situation?).

The very strange thing is: i do have 2 machines (mostly the same
hardware and package releases) and only on one of them i can startup
ntpd. The problem is reproducible on the other one, when i use a kernel
with QOS (i have to use traffic-shaping on this gateway). I tried
several kernel options to isolate the reason, but without success for
now. I am only able to test outside office hours, because it is a
productive machine.

Anyone out there with the straight tipp for me?!?

Greetings
Bernhard