Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:32:40 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: QEMU

Hi,

I'd like to share the (trivial) recipe for running QEMU on Owl.  I'll
start with some information on what QEMU is:

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

"QEMU is a generic and open source processor emulator which achieves a
good emulation speed by using dynamic translation.

QEMU has two operating modes:

* Full system emulation.  In this mode, QEMU emulates a full system (for
example a PC), including a processor and various peripherials.  It can
be used to launch different Operating Systems without rebooting the PC
or to debug system code. ..."

To get QEMU to work on Owl, it is sufficient to install the unofficial
packages (Fedora rebuilds) available under /pub/Owl/current/unofficial
on our FTP mirrors, then additionally install libSDL (the binary package
from Fedora Core 3 worked fine for me; to build it from source, one
would have to install a few more tools, including nasm).  Then QEMU
0.7.2 just works.

To boot the Owl live CD image, use:

	qemu -cdrom Owl-current-20050913-i386.iso -boot d

The system boots and works fine (in a window in X, or can be switched to
full-screen with Ctrl-Alt-F), including networking (using the emulated
RealTek 8029 NIC).  Additional "hard drives" (located in sparse files on
the host system) may be added with further options.

FreeDOS and ReactOS also work fine (although ReactOS is not very
reliable yet).  I am installing Cygwin in ReactOS at the moment, -- it's
very slow, but the installation works so far (download speed is limited
to 25 KB/sec by the progress bar updates in the GUI, -- the "qemu"
process is at 100% CPU).  (I'm not sure if Cygwin itself will work under
ReactOS once installed.  We'll see.  But this is not a QEMU issue.)
(Update: ReactOS locked up at 56% of the Cygwin install, in the middle
of groff download.  I'm not sure why.  I don't think QEMU is to blame,
more likely it's a ReactOS issue.)

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar