Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 16:40:38 +0200
From: Andreas Ericsson <ae@....se>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Troubles with building packages

ping@...n.tebe.ru wrote:
> I have some troubles with build new packages from sources.
> System can't find C preprocessor.
>
> For example I try to build samba-3.0.20a:
>
> $ ./counfigure
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
> configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

I had this same problem myself in May this year. Here's the posting I
made back then (to owl-devel, which isn't archived unfortunately).

-----------
I ran into some weird errors while packaging coreutils, where its
configure script for some obscure reason attempted to run /lib/cpp as
the preprocessor. Adding the following lines to the %configure macro
seems to have solved the problem (and made it embarrassingly obvious
that I had forgotten to install the kernel-headers). The addendum is
most likely a good idea anyways since it can prevent some problems with
ill-behaved ./configure scripts.

%configure
   CC="${CC:-%__cc}" ; export CC ; \
   CPP="${CPP:-%__cpp}" ; export CPP ; \
   CFLAGS (and so on...)

Galaxy, Dmitry and Solar agreed that adding it to the default macros
might be a good idea. Galaxy wanted to do some other stuff with the rpm
package first.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson@....se