Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:13:42 +0300
From: Galaxy <galaxy@....openwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Rpm updating bug?

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:51:48PM +0200, Ruslan Radvansky wrote:

>  While I investigate my problem, I found that:
> 1) In changes-current file:
> rpm 4.2 (with support for db1-format packages database re-introduced
> to allow for upgrades from older versions of Owl).
> 2) rpm 4.2 reject to install because old db1-format database found.

This is true.

> 3) rpmd from rpm 4.2 distribution reject to upgrade database to new
> format because phases of the Moon.

Hmm. I'm a current maintainer of Owl's rpm. And I've tested it a lot (especially
its ability to upgrade old db1 format to the db3 one). So, it sounds wrong for
me that Owl's rpm 4.2 rejects to upgrade db1.

> My propose to developers: remove from %pre section of rpm.spec file,
> checking for old database format because it supported.

We will remove that support once all our users will migrate to the new version,
because db1 code is unclear and outdated.

> Sorry, downloading of all rpms is to expensive for me and I check1ng
> "teoretically". I not trust that "make installworld" solve my problem.

Yes, it will solve it! There are a lot of magic around Owl's rpm 4.2 in native/Owl/build/installworld.sh. Just look inside and you will find how database upgrade is performed. Threre is no way to perform database upgrade from inside of the rpm package.

--
(GM)