Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:38:00 +0400
From: Michael Tokarev <mjt@....msk.ru>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: installed and chrooted and now?

misiu_ wrote:
> hi, i guess it is my cdrom...
> but in my lilo.conf
> is
> "boot=/dev/hda1"
> "root=/dev/hda"

You booted from CD-Rom drive, right?
Lilo tries to determine the boot drive (the one which was
used to boot the system this time) and write the stuff to
it.  I guess you have to add two more directives into
lilo.conf:

  disk=/dev/hda bios=0x80

to force lilo to think that your hda (is it your disk?)
is the first (boot) device in bios terminology (0x80 is
the boot device in bios).

Sometimes, lilo is tricky to set up in a chroot, when the
boot device was different than the one you're trying to
install to.  But well, I never seen such a problem with
CD-Rom drive & lilo before.  As far as I can tell, lilo
looks up /proc/partitions and tries to get some info
about every device listed there, but it a) should not
see cdrom device there, and b) even if it's there for
some strange reason, lilo should skip it  (0x1600 is
device with major number 0x16 (=22 dec) and minor=0,
which is /dev/hdc).  It seems that the above trick with
disk= bios= should help, but i'm not sure.

/mjt