Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:36:06 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CD with live OWL

Hi Adam,

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:52:35AM +0200, Adam Sosnowski wrote:
> I want to create CD with live firewall server using OWL.
> Is anybody tried to do that. If so please drop me some
> docs or any info how to start.I am forced to do that
> because I have lots of power off (even during the day work).

Well, you could just as easily have Owl run off a hard drive mounted
read-only + a ramdisk for run-time files.  But a CD is a good option
too.

Yes, you could do that, by simply modifying our ISOs with the settings
you require:

- "cp -a" everything off an official Owl CD (do not miss the magic
".Owl-CD-ROM" file);

- chroot to your copy;

While chrooted:

- apply any desired changes (e.g., issue "service iptables save" to
save your current iptables rules to be activated upon next bootup);

- configure the system to boot into multi-user: remove the option
"single" from /etc/lilo.conf entries, make the appropriate entry the
default, invoke /boot/floppy.update;

Leave the chroot, and finally:

- generate the new ISO and burn it onto a CD-RW with:

mkisofs -vlRJ -b boot/floppy.image -c boot/boot.catalog Owl-CD | cdrecord -v - blank=fast

Note that "mkisofs" and "cdrecord" are currently not a part of Owl;
you can get unofficial packages that work on Owl here:

ftp://ftp1.msk.ru.openwall.com/pvt/RPMS/cdrtools/

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598