Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:22:20 +0000 (GMT)
From: Simon B <simonb@...zo.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: dhcp client

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Berend-Jan Wever wrote:

BW! > In native/Owl/packages/dhcp/dhcp.spec, you can set BUILD_DHCP_CLIENT to 1.
BW! > Then "make".
BW! - Is that "make buildworld" or can I simply make the dhclient by itself ?
BW!   (if so, what's the command to build one single package like dhcp ?)

To build only one package, use

make buildworld PACKAGE=dhcp

for example...

BW! - Does "make buildworld" put the built binaries in /bin, /sbin, ... ?
BW!   or does it create rpms to be installed with "make installworld" ?
BW!   or are they put in one dir, to be copied to more usefull dirs manually ?
BW!   (I couldn't really find that out by looking at the Makefile and scripts.)

No, as root you need to run make installworld.
To just install one packages (like dhcp*) run:

# rpm -ivh RPMS/dhcp*

from /usr/src/world

BW! > This is disabled by default and not officially supported because this TODO
BW! > item has not been completed (in fact, we haven't even started at it):
BW!
BW! Well, unfortunately my ISP requires me to use DHCP to get an IP address on
BW! the local network. Also, I have to install PPPOE to reach the internet.
BW! Which brings me to my next question: Which PPPOE client would you recommend
BW! ?

Don't know of any, can't make any recommendations personally.

One other tip I will give ; make your dhcp client exit after obtaining
a lease ; otherwise it may be possible to send bad data to your client
and make it crash or worse...

However this may break the way your ISP re-leases IP addresses, but I
know which problem I'd rather be fixing ;-))

Regards,

Simon.

BW!
BW! Cheers and thanks in advance for answering all my n00b questions ;)
BW!
BW! SkyLined
BW!
BW!