Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 06:14:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Pump package

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:43:57PM -0300, Vinicius Moreira Mello wrote:
> I installed openwall and noticed that there is no pump package nor any other
> dchp client, although in the initialization scripts there is a reference
> to /sbin/pump.

That's a leftover from Red Hat's networking scripts.  We should
replace them, it's on TODO.

> I looked for packages in the ftp and didn't find. Where is
> the pump package?

There won't be one.  But as Matthias has pointed out, there's the dhcp
package which by default builds as DHCP server only.  You can enable
building the client as well, but you do so at your own risk.  This is
because the TODO item for a DHCP client isn't completed yet:

[PRIORITY: low]
[ASSIGNED: schmidt@, solar@]
The DHCP client should be modified to run as a dedicated pseudo-user
and in a chroot jail.  This requires privilege separation within the
client (not easy).

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar@...nwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598