Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:58:07 +0400 (MSD)
From: Lunar <lunar@...d.ru>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ST5481 USB ISDN modem in kernel 2.2.x

Hello !

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Solar Designer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 12:31:39AM +0200, Dudek Paragliding - Wojtek Domanski wrote:
> > I have a passive ISDN/USB modem that requires: "ST5481 USB ISDN modem
> > (EXPERIMENTAL)" feature to be enabled in a kernel configuration. This
> > feature is available in kernels 2.4.x and is NOT available in kernels 2.2.x.
> > According to your advice, I would prefer to run my Owl-ISDN_access_router on
> > 2.2.x kernel (I can use ready ipchains scripts from init.d instead of
> > configuring my own iptables scripts, etc.).
>
> While, yes, 2.2.x may be preferred, staying with 2.2.x is not
> necessarily worth it at this time and in your case.  If the driver was
> in 2.2.x, that's what you would install.  But as the driver is not
> there, it's easiest for you to go with 2.4.x which Owl supports as
> well and ensure you keep it up to date (the latest 2.4.x-ow patch).
>
> If you pick Linux 2.4.x, you absolutely need to use 2.4.21-ow2
> currently.  (For 2.2.x, as old as 2.2.22 which was released last year
> is still reasonable to keep on some existing installs.  You can't do
> that for 2.4.x, too many 2.4.x-specific critical security holes have
> been fixed since then.)

Solar, may be use 2.6.xx for OWL Release 1.1 ? The Kernel 2.4.x have more
bad strings, so as :

Copyright (c) International Business Machines Corp., 2001 This program is
free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later
version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General
Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the
GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the
Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA
02111-1307, USA. Author: Dipankar Sarma (Based on a Dynix/ptx
implementation by Paul Mckenney