Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:17:15 -0500
From: "Steve Bremer" <steveb@...coinc.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Next Release

> To me, the primary reasons for Owl to move to 2.4.x aren't the more
> extensive firewalling features, but rather availability of drivers for
> newer hardware (most importantly disk controllers) and improved kernel

That's a very good point.  I've stayed with the 3ware IDE RAID
controllers for all of my Owl machines (which is well supported in
2.2.x).  So, I haven't ran into driver issues yet.

> interfaces which allow to do neat things such as Olaf Kirch's
> non-SUID/SGID traceroute that behaves more like the traditional one.

I did not realize that.  Indeed that would be a nice benefit.  Is it
possible in 2.2.x to have ping and traceroute use capabilities and
drop all other root privs shortly after startup?

> Thank you for your feedback, -- it really helps.

You're welcome.  Thanks for Owl!

Steve Bremer
NEBCO, Inc.
System & Security Administrator