Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 17:18:46 +0300
From: Oleg Lukashin <phd@...a.ru>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: got a problem with /tmp

* Solar Designer (solar@...nwall.com) wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 08:22:41PM +0300, Oleg Lukashin wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I've got a non-standart problem with /tmp. I need to make /tmp as
> > a symlink to /var/tmp, but cannot do this, because of hidden
> > /tmp/.private/root, that cannot be deleted. Who making these dirs
> > (i mean under /tmp)
>
> pam_mktemp does.

I had the same opinion, and commented it in /etc/pam.d/login,
but, it doesn't help... because files already created :)

> The reason /tmp/.private is append-only is for
> pam_mktemp to co-exist with Red Hat's tmpwatch (if you install it on
> Owl).

Yes, make installworld installing stmpclean. tmpwatch is a part
of this packet.

> This has been done prior to our inclusion of stmpwatch which
> wouldn't attempt to remove the per-user subdirectories for another
> reason.  Now that stmpclean is a part of Owl, there's hardly a reason
> for one to install tmpwatch so I am considering reverting this change.
>
> To remove your current /tmp, you first need to do:
>
> chattr -a /tmp/.private

Yeah ! thanks a lot. I've somehow knew that such utility should
exist... You've opened my eyes :))

--
Best regards,
Oleg Lukashin