Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 02:31:39 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ftp mirror

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 05:38:40AM -0000, soso@...ymonkey.org wrote:

Hi,

> Openwall developers:  Is Openwall still looking for official mirrors in
> North America?

Yes, we could use more mirrors, especially in Canada.  Although one US
mirror is almost setup (in response to my original request), I hope to
be able to document it soon.

> I've set up an Openwall mirror on ftp.busymonkey.org
> (168.103.101.193).  It's hosted on an Owl 1.0 box using vsftpd, using the
> instructions recently posted to this list.  It's on a 768Kbps sdsl
> connection in San Francisco, CA, and is currently tested, up, and
> available.  Please let me know what else I need to do in order to become
> and official mirror.

Everything's great, except for the bandwidth.  If we make it official,
you may expect your link to be saturated whenever we announce the next
big release.  We don't plan to make releases very often, though.

The average bandwidth usage for ftp{1,2}.ru.openwall.com during the
day after announcing Owl 1.0 was around 2 Mbps (over 20 GB downloaded
in one day).  (They're currently both at DataForce ISP.)  People on
fast links have also been getting transfer rates of hundreds KBs per
second, including many all the way to the US, and in a few cases even
over 1 MB/sec (Europe only).  Nergal said the number of downloads was
similar for ftp.pl.openwall.com (it's on a slower link, though).  For
other mirrors, I don't know.

If you still want me to list it as one of the US mirrors (hopefully
not the only one), I will gladly do so.

You'll probably want to correct the FTP banner:

220 220 ftp.busymonkey.org - mirror site for Openwall Gnu/Linux

remove the extra 220 status code and change the "Gnu/Linux" to
"GNU/*/Linux" (we really got to credit whatever pieces are neither
GNU, nor Linux).

--
/sd