Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:22:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Perl CPAN module - little suggestion

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 12:42:25PM +0200, Radek Michalski wrote:

Hi,

> I found that when using perl CPAN archive ftp program is called with -n
> parameter that isn't recognized by lcftp. If You want to use CPAN on Owl,
> please make the following changes in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/CPAN.pm file.I can
> include here CPAN.pm file, but it has 147kB, so the (very small) changes I
> made are:
> 1) line 2363 (cosmetic): {'ftp'}$verbose -n"\n} goes to {'ftp'}$verbose"\n}
> 2) line 2372 : {'ftp'}$verbose -n", @dialog goes to: {'ftp'}$verbose ",
> @dialog
>
> Now it works fine.

Yes, thanks for sharing your experience.  This is really what this
list is for. :-)

This problem has previously been reported by Anatoly Pugachev
<mator at gsib.ru> (who is subscribed to this list).  The proper way
to fix it is probably by making lftp ignore the -n for backwards
compatibility.

http://www.mail-archive.com/lftp-devel%40uniyar.ac.ru/msg00919.html

This is likely the kind of fix that will get into Owl, probably at
the same time as we update our lftp package to a new version (once a
version with certain other fixes is out).  (The particular patch in
that lftp-devel posting is very slightly wrong, that of course will be
fixed.)

Patching the invocations of ftp won't work for when "ftp" is actually
the old-fashioned client which needs the -n, which is supported on
Owl.  ftp is only symlinked to lftp when there's no other /usr/bin/ftp
at the time the lftp package is installed.

--
/sd