Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 20:05:22 +0100
From: Janusz <januz@....uni.torun.pl>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wrong entries in wtmp

> > 4. the end of root's session, and another check:
> > januz    pts/0        me               Fri Mar  1 20:27   still logged in
> > root     pts/0        localhost        Fri Mar  1 20:26 - 20:27  (00:00)
> > januz    pts/0        me               Fri Mar  1 20:26 - 20:26  (00:00)
> > reboot   system boot  2.2.19           Fri Mar  1 20:24          (00:03)
> >
> > This time it reports my ,,come back'' from machime ,,me''.
>
> Well, while this "su -" behavior is a little unusual, I don't see
> anything obviously wrong with it.  What behavior would you prefer?
> Not logging the su sessions into wtmp at all (which I believe is the
> case for most other implementations)?

I'd prefer not logging these at all, or with some indication that
it was a su session.
Having information that root logged on from _localhost_ is a bit
confusing, even though I can see it was on pty/0, not a tty.
So is the information about my "second" login.

But of course I'm not saying that my point of view is the best one.

Janusz