Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 21:39:51 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: new Owl-current snapshot (20020215), Owl at NordU2002

Hi,

I don't normally announce Owl-current snapshots in any way, but this
one is really a big change after a significant delay (where the real
-current was being hacked on without letting it to the FTP mirrors).

A new ISO image is also available (under /pub/Owl/current/iso on the
FTP mirrors).

Just to remind, the Owl homepage with download locations is at:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/

As usual, the significant changes have made it into the system-wide
change log at:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/CHANGES.shtml

Most importantly, we have defined and moved to new package version
numbering conventions which should let us better support multiple
branches.  This is one change that should have happened before 0.2
(and thus before we start a 0.2-stable).  At the same time any
previously specified conventions (Owl/doc/CONVENTIONS in the CVS tree)
have been actually enforced for old packages, heavy cleanups applied
to all of the RPM spec files, and lots of minor improvements to the
packages have been made.  This means that _all_ packages have changed
in some way or another.

Despite the heavy changes, it should still be possible to upgrade to
this snapshot with a "make installworld".  Depending on which version
you upgrade from, you may need to run the "make installworld" twice to
satisfy certain package dependencies (you only need to do this if some
packages fail to install the first time).

I believe the system is in a consistent state once again now and this
snapshot has received some testing on our own systems, yet I ask to
please test and report any problems that might have been introduced.

This will likely be the last snapshot before I leave for NordU2002
where we (me and Nergal) are making a presentation on Owl:

	http://www.nordu.org/NordU2002/conf_prog_over.htm#thursday
	http://www.nordu.org/NordU2002/tutorials/tutorials/Openwall.htm

The presentation slides will be made available from the Owl homepage
in a few days after the conference.

--
/sd