Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:19:32 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Owl list <owl-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: POWER OFF PROBLEM SERIOUS

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 04:02:05PM -0500, solar@...bsd.net wrote:

> Your problem does not seem to be related to Owl distro.
> I just tested that 'halt' works and its fine
> (with and without ow* kern patches).

Thanks.

> I dont know how SolarDiz feels but it would be nice to see
> Owl related questions on the owl-users@ and not unix 101 questions.

I agree, but I was going to let the list self-regulate until I feel
that moderation is necessary.  There have been several messages from
list members so far that I wouldn't approve if I decided to moderate
the list.  But so far I only reject UBE ("spam") and there have been
several such messages already after I re-configured the list.  When
list members say they want a list policy announced, I'll do so... or I
may decide to do so myself. ;-)  Similarly, when pre-moderation of
messages from list members becomes necessary, I'll do that as well.

And owl-users@ isn't only about asking and answering questions.  It's
also a place to share experience with using Owl, even if not explicitly
asked for it. ;-)

Speaking of Piotr's postings, originally the question was on topic (he
asked if we patched anything in halt that could be relevant, to which
I replied that we didn't).  I'd rather see problem reports which turn
out to be not related to Owl than not get a bug in our patches reported
to us.  Then, it's not only our patches which is our responsibility.
If we package something for Owl and that turns out to contain a bug,
we need to deal with that (such as by forwarding the bug report if not
fixing the bug ourselves), too.

Then the shouting in the subject line I of course don't appreciate.

--
/sd