Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:02:16 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: beldridg@...ox.com
Subject: Re: small fix to sysklogd .spec file

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 09:49:38AM -0700, beldridg@...ox.com wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Solar Designer wrote:
> > My reasoning to have it as /var/empty is to permit for export of the
> > package into other distributions which also provide the directory.
>
> i actually tried this first. i created /var/empty root:root and tried
> installing sysklogd and RPM still complained:

Of course.  This is why I said it's the distribution which should
provide the directory.  Red Hat Linux 7+ provides /usr/share/empty,
but now that OpenBSD will have /var/empty I'd rather go with that.
Hopefully other distributions (and FHS/LSB) will follow.

> (09:47:49)[beldridg@...h tmp]$ ls -l /var |grep emp
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root           48 Oct 10 08:23 empty
>
> (09:48:18)[beldridg@...h tmp]$ sudo rpm -F
> /tmp/sysklogd-1.4.1-1owl.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         /var/empty is needed by sysklogd-1.4.1-1owl
>

> so, is it a permissions problem on /var/empty?

No.  It's just the way RPM works.  /var/empty should come from a package.

--
/sd