Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:09:15 +0400
From: solar@...nwall.com
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SRC.RPM from other sources

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 12:50:31PM +0200, Rafal Wojtczuk wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 aies@...daweb.com wrote:
> > I am very confident on Owl.
> >
> > But, because Owl lack many server packages, can we compile src.rpm from
> > other distributions/sources?

Of course.  We currently provide _binary_ compatibility for almost all
packages from or intended for Red Hat Linux 6.x, and you can build
source packages intended for other versions of Red Hat Linux and its
clones.

> > If it's possible, how?
> You can build rpm from src.rpm in the usuall manner,
> owl!root:~# rpm -i package.src.rpm
> owl!root:~# rpm -bb /usr/src/RPM/SPEC/package.spec

This isn't entirely correct as we've dropped /usr/src/RPM out of our
rpm package a while ago specifically to discourage building packages
as root and with unsafe temporary storage settings.

There're two approaches to build SRPM's on Owl that we support.  You
can pick one.

1. As user "build", place your SRPM's into /usr/src/world/foreign.
Then, still as user "build", change directory to /usr/src/world and
type make.  This will (try to) rebuild Owl itself (if you have the
sources in place), and then will build your foreign packages.  The
PROCESSORS= setting in buildworld.conf works for foreign packages just
like it does for native ones.

2. Configure RPM for customizable builds as a non-root user of your
choice, by placing a .rpmmacros file in the user's home directory with
the following contents:

%_tmppath /home/user/.rpm-work/tmp
%_topdir /home/user/.rpm-work
%buildroot /home/user/.rpm-work/buildroot

(Replace /home/user with the path to the user's home directory.)
Create the subdirectories, plus the usual RPM directories under
/home/user/.rpm-work.  Then build packages as usual (rpm -bb spec
or rpm --rebuild package.src.rpm).

We might provide a script to do this per-user RPM configuration.

--
/sd