Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 20:32:57 +0300
From: Vasily Averin <vvs@...tuozzo.com>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Cc: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 32-bit syscall breakage in -431 kernel with KAISER

Dear ALexander,
Do you observe host crash on start of microcode_ctl service?

I did not found the reason of crash-on boot on my test node,
now I think it was caused by some misconfiguration on our buildsystem.
I've recompiled kernel manually and successfully bootedit on my test node.
However then node was crashed on start of microcode_ctl service on host.

I've found that on our kernel __cpuinit moves get_scattered_cpuid_extra() into init section,
but this function can be called lagally called after initialization,
from microcode_write() -> spec_ctrl_rescan_cpuid()

Issue was caused by CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU enabled on Red Hat but disabled on our kernels.
Therefore I afraid your kernel should be affected too.

Could you please clarify this question?

Thank you,
	Vasily Averin