Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 13:31:43 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: removing /var/lib/rpm/__db.00? on rpm upgrade (was: recent updates)

Galaxy,

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 07:55:33PM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 10:57:24AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> > # rpm -Uvh gdbm-{,devel-}1*.rpm
> > Segmentation fault
>
> Just not to leave this without a follow-up in here, the above was solved
> with a simple:
>
> rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.00?
>
> Obviously.

BTW, we (you?) should probably introduce a trigger into rpm.spec, so
that /var/lib/rpm/__db.00? are automatically removed on upgrades from
our older versions of rpm known to have these in incompatible format.

Otherwise our end-users would run into the same problem when upgrading
e.g. from Owl 3.1-stable to Owl-current, even with binaries.

We already have:

%triggerpostun -- %name < 4.2-owl22
# Remove __db.00? files that look like they're pre-NPTL.  We may be removing
# files that are opened and/or memory-mapped by us (by the rpm process that
# installs the new rpm package), but that's OK.  The next invocation of rpm
# will recreate the files.  4.2-owl22 is when we added this trigger, and we
# were already using NPTL at the time, so there is no need to perform the
# size check and possibly remove the files when upgrading from newer versions.
RPMDBDIR=/var/lib/rpm
if [ -f $RPMDBDIR/__db.001 -a "`wc -c < $RPMDBDIR/__db.001`" -le 8192 ]; then
	rm -f $RPMDBDIR/__db.00?
fi

We probably need a similar section for the recent rpm update as well.
Would both sections fire when upgrading from even older rpm, though
(prior to 4.2-owl22)?  Would that be OK?  I guess so, but perhaps the
old section above will become redundant, and thus we need to replace it
rather than add another?  This needs some thinking and testing.

Alexander