Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 12:18:20 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: massive Owl userland updates

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 12:04:40PM +0400, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:41:01AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> > BTW, did you preserve our changes to RPM, such as package build time
> > comparison (in case Version and Release on a package being upgraded
> > remain unchanged between the old and the new revision)?
>
> You are underestimating me :). Yes, all our custom patches are
> incorporated. :)  However, after reviewing your patches to RPM I
> strongly believe that our build time comparison is a no-op patch :).
> The reason for this is that we have ldv@'s (?) SHA1 header comparison
> and if a package has been rebuilt its header changes (even if the
> version stays exactly the same).  Anyway, my goal was to update
> autotools and RPM and preserve as much as possible (behaviour-like),
> so I kept all patches in.

IIRC, both of these checks are by ldv@, and I vaguely recall discussing
that redundancy.

> I also noticed that most of our patches were
> not properly generated with TZ=UTC, so they failed to set proper
> timestamps when I was applying these patches with 'patch -Z'.

You can try "patch -T" in those cases - but yes, we prefer to generate
patches with TZ=UTC.

> > I'd be happy to setup a 64-bit OpenVZ container for your testing on a
> > mostly unused 8-core machine.
>
> It would be very helpful.

Let's coordinate via jabber.

> However, my quota of spare time (and funds)
> for Owl is almost out -- I got like 2 more weeks before I go for another
> venture in order to keep my family afloat.

2 weeks sounds like it should be enough for you to bring 64-bit builds
to the same level of readiness as your 32-bit builds.

Alexander